Saturday, October 19, 2013

Moontastic!

One of my favorite units all year (although I feel like I love everything..) is our moon unit. We study patterns and incorporate that with the study of the moon. I purchased Cara Carroll's Moon Mania unit and it's packed full of Math, Literacy, and Science activities. One of my students favorite things is our moon bag. I bought a canvas bag from Wal-Mart and decorated the outside of it with a binder inside. Buy the Moon Mania unit to get more ideas and see how the Moon Bag works.

We just finished up this two week unit on Wednesday, before fall break. As an end of the unit assessment I bought oreos and had my students make the moon phases out of the oreo's and icing. They LOVED it. We set up our privacy folders and each student received this oreo moon phase worksheet to complete their work on. When I gave them the OK, they took off one oreo at a time to eat and colored in the moon phase. Their bellies were happy and I was able to see if they knew the phases. win-win



We created a lot more than just oreo moon phases during this unit. Water colored moons, moon mobiles, what would you take to the moon, moon graphs. I was really surprised when we graphed that 13 students would like to visit the moon and 7 wouldn't. Their reasoning being that it would be dangerous (haha)! We had a blast!!

It has turned cold over here in Oklahoma! I'm currently sitting on my couch with a blanket, slipper boots, and a heating pad. And somehow I'm still cold! I'm working on some grammar cards that we use in our classroom-to pass along to other second grade teachers. So keep your eye out for that. 

Liz Conwell

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS